Residence leroy de barde
The Leroy de Barde family was founded in 1546
In 1998 Lucien Vasseur, historian, investigated the origin of the building on behalf of the then owner of the building. There is no story about princes and princesses, but one about knights and close ties to the royal court. It ends with an emigration to the UK in 1792 following the French revolution.
The surname Leroy de Barde originated from a marriage on November 5, 1546 between Nicolas Leroy & Antoinette de Hesdin.
In all probability the building was built in 1730/1740 by Nicholas François Leroy (°1708, *1769), seigneur de Barde (6th generation Leroy de Barde). Other sources indicate that it was first the home of the Lebel family and only later became Leroy de Barde. The building is given the name 'la Cornemeuse'. In the bedroom "Lily-Rose you can also find an image of a bagpipe.
The Leroy de Barde family maintained close ties to the court through many generations and marriages. Almost all men were knights or held important positions in the army. Alexandre Isidore Leroy even became the first nature painter for Louis XVI (see also wikipedia). Alexander is 1 of 4 children actually born at 1 Rue de la chaine in Montreuil-sur-mer.
With the start of the French Revolution in 1789, it became too close for comfort and the family emigrated to the UK. Their real estate (rue de la chaine 1 and 3) is first confiscated and then sold nationally. Rue de la chaine 1 is sold to Antoine Aubert Thelu in 1794 for 22,700 livres (the currency then common in France).
After the French Revolution, the whole family returned to France and lived near Abbeville, Boulogne sur mer,... In the end, the family only lived in Montreuil for about 50 years, but they left behind this beautiful building!
Boarding house for young ladies
The property is located in the street: Rue de la chaine, but this street was previously called "rue des soeurs-grises", so the street of the gray nons. It is not clear when the building came into the hands of the sisters. However, it was captured on photo as early as 1882 when the building functioned as a boarding house for young girls.
British Military Center 14-18
With the expansion of the British army in the north of France, Montreuil-sur-mer became the military center for the British during the First World War. It owes this to its geographical location, halfway between London and Paris, not far from the ports of Dunkerque, Calais and Boulogne. Its mission: to form a link between the British government and the British troops.
The head of the gigantic administration was baes in Montreuil. (for example, more than 9000 telegrams were sent in one day) and logistics machine in charge of coordinating the troops at the front. The headquarters consists of more than 5000 soldiers, including 3600 officers. Read more.
Without any doubt, our premises at 1 Rue de la chaine were also used to house several British officers.
It is not clear what happened with the building after the First World War. Apparently, a bailiff would have made his pied the stable. That is also one of the reasons why a drinking trough was installed in the garage (now champagne bar). We are in the countryside so a bailiff would often confiscate cows etc which were then temporarily housed in Rue de la chaine 1.
Vacancy in the 80s
The house was neglected by the end of the 20th century
Thorough renovation in 2000
We are very grateful to one of the former owners for the renovation he carried out on the property. This was done with respect for the old materials. Small fact: the Hungarian point parquet in the living room/dining room was carefully dismantled and slowly placed in printing presses to flatten it after x period and to be able to reuse it.